Welcome to The Little Schnauzery

We are an Arizona Schnauzer Rescue foster home with two parents, three kids, a schnauzer and most of the time a foster dog. Read about the rescued dogs and our experiences with them in this blog.
Please consider adopting or fostering a rescued schnauzer.
http://www.azschnauzer.org/

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Shave and a hair cut

Travis returned from the vet all neutered up and shaved down. Wow he looked different! We really love his coloring.


With all his dreadlocks gone, we were able to better see his body language. It doesn't take a dog whisperer to know that he was terrified of people. Poor guy :-(
Below is a pic while we very sweetly and gently call for him to come to us.


Which he finally did. He quickly became attached to our middle daughter and he would follow her around when ever possible, and when not possible he would find a spot with as much of her smell as possible.


Of course he still spent his days watching fish tanks and TV.
For a while we had to cover my tank stand, but he has now been trained to not jump up and scratch the wood. He is eager to please once he figures out what you want.

As the weeks passed he became more and more comfortable with us and began to trust us and really became part of our pack.
Even Obi accepted him as a full member of the pack!
Our whole family has fully fallen in love with Travis. He is pure teddy bear and loves to sit with you and get all the love he can. It has been a real privilege to help this schnauzer learn to trust and love people. In return he has given just as much back to us.
One thing to note... Travis does not play! We have tried to get him interested in toys and Obi has tried to get him interested in dog play but he won't do it.

3 comments:

  1. He is truly adorable and a love..Will you be keeping him? I can certainly understand that he doesn't trust people. Poor little guy --He is a love...I am looking for a dear friend for my 6 year old rescue schnauzer..I got him from AZ Schnauzer Rescue (Gail)6 years ago this month.. You guys are the best...HUGS from Mickey Mouse and me..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Patty, thanks for following my blog! (I'm glad someone does hehe)
    Travis is so awesome, I would love to keep him. I really would... but we have promised ourselves not to adopt so we can continue fostering and helping dogs in need.
    As far as adoption status, that is my wife's department and I have no clue. Let me find out from her what is going on. I think we have been dragging our feet on Travis because we love having him here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just a note... it has been another month or so and I am happy to report that Travis does indeed play! He chases his tail, runs and romps, plays with the other dogs and is a carefree playful guy! Talk about a rewarding outcome!!

    ReplyDelete